A walled town of golden-teak mansions, the chedi that appears on the provincial seal, a canyon of eroded earth pillars, an indigo village four kilometres out, and two national parks in the forest that covers two-thirds of the province.
The one-line version: Phrae's own motto is the best itinerary anyone has written for it — mo hom cloth and teak wood, the place of Phra Lo's love, the home of Phra That Cho Hae, the famed Phae Mueang Phi. All four are real places, and all four are reachable from the old city.
| Sight | Where | Detail |
|---|---|---|
| Khum Chao Luang | Nai Wiang, inside the moat | The teak residence built for Chao Luang Phiriya Thepphawong between roughly 1889 and 1892, in a traditional Lanna form influenced by Victorian architecture. Now a museum and the town's principal set-piece. |
| Vongburi House (Khum Wongburi) | Nai Wiang | Built in 1897 at the behest of Mae Chao Bua Tha, the prince's first consort — two storeys of golden teak in European Victorian style, wrapped in pale-pink gingerbread fretwork. Open as a museum. |
| The city wall and moat | Nai Wiang | Very little of the wall itself survives, but the moat traces the almost-oval line the fortified Lanna town followed — a shape local tradition compares to a conch shell. Walking it is the simplest way to understand the town's plan. |
| The wider teak town | Nai Wiang and around | Phrae's old buildings are not limited to the two museums: the town is full of century-old Rattanakosin-period houses built on teak-trade money, which is why it is regularly described as one of Thailand's best-preserved wooden towns. |
The town's architecture is a direct consequence of its economics. Phrae was a centre of the teak trade under King Chulalongkorn, and the money built a generation of large wooden houses in the decades either side of 1900 — the two museums are the survivors people know, but the old city is full of others still lived in and worked in. It is also, unusually for Thailand, a centre you can see entirely on foot; see the where-to-live guide for why that matters if you are thinking of staying.
| Sight | Where | Detail |
|---|---|---|
| Wat Phra That Cho Hae | About 9km southeast of town | The province's principal temple, and the source of the chedi that rides on the horse in the provincial seal. The Chiang Saen-style pagoda is wrapped in copper and gold; the name refers to the satin cloth traditionally wrapped around it. |
| Phae Mueang Phi Forest Park | About 12km from the town centre | The 'ghost city' — earth and sandstone pillars carved by wind and water erosion, some reported at up to 30 metres, in a landscape often compared to a small canyon. Note that sources place it in different subdistricts, most commonly Nam Cham in Mueang Phrae district; check the pin before you drive. |
| Ban Thung Hong | About 4km north of town | The mo hom indigo village — the source of the indigo-dyed cotton shirt that reads as northern Thai across the country, woven by Thai Phuan families whose ancestors came from the Phuan lands in present-day Laos. A working craft village with a genuine revival behind it. |
| Wat Phra That Suthon Mongkhon Khiri | Den Chai district | Commonly called Wat Suthon: a Lanna-style complex with more than thirty chedis and a golden-teak pavilion museum holding artefacts and photographs. One of the most-photographed temples in the north. |
| Phra That Phra Lo | Ban Klang, Song district, on Route 103 | A chedi of roughly four centuries, about 45km north of the town, associated with Phra Lo of the Lanna courtly romance Lilit Phra Lo — the 'place of Phra Lo's love' named in the provincial motto — and his two lovers Phra Phuean and Phra Phaeng. |
| Ban Don Mun, Sung Men | Sung Men district | The province's woodworking cluster. Tambon Don Mun is known for teak furniture and wooden goods, from dining tables to wall clocks and smaller pieces. |
| Place | Where | Detail |
|---|---|---|
| Wiang Kosai National Park | Western Phrae, toward Long and Wang Chin | Holds the Mae Koeng Luang and Mae Koeng Noi waterfalls, whose streams flow down into the Yom. |
| Mae Yom National Park | Song district, in the north | The Yom valley park in the north of the province. |
| Tham Pha Nang Khoi | Rong Kwang district | A cave whose end chamber holds a stalagmite shaped like a woman holding a child, with a heart-shaped stalactite in front of it — the source of a local legend about a woman who waited for her lover until she turned to stone. |
| The forest generally | 64.8% of the province | Phrae's forest area is 4,204 km2 of its 6,483 km2, spread between the Phi Pan Nam Range in the west and the Phlueng Range in the east. On protected-area counts our sources contradict each other — the province article says four national parks while its own summary table says one, and it names two wildlife sanctuaries where the table says five — so we do not print a headline number. |
Phrae's heritage is not only pleasant. Between 25 July and 14 August 1902, Tai Yai — Ngiao, or Shan — rebels attacked and looted the town in resistance to Bangkok's centralising Thesaphiban reforms, the new taxes and the border settlement with the British that forced Shan communities to choose a nationality. More than twenty government officials were killed, including the royal commissioner. Troops sent from Bangkok under Chaophraya Surasakmontri put the rising down, and Chao Luang Phiriya Thepphawong, the last ruling prince of Phrae, went into exile in Luang Prabang — the end of semi-independent princely rule in the north. The teak mansions and the school he founded are what he left behind, and the town does not hide the story.
Talk to BAANLYY about a long stay in the north — starting with a month in the old city.
Primary and official sources are cited above. Government rules, fees and procedures in Thailand change over time and vary by office; always confirm current requirements with the relevant authority before relying on them. BAANLYY never takes paid placement in editorial content.
Opening hours, admission and access change — confirm before travelling, particularly for national parks and forest parks. Hero photograph via Pexels.